{home} {blog} {about} {patterns}

Saturday, September 4, 2010

The Twisting

I'm one of those bloggers who's always thinking "ooh! i have to remember this detail so i can include it in a post!". The unfortunate thing is, i do this so frequently i forget a lot of details here and there.

I'm also one of those bloggers who tries really hard to keep track of yarn labels so i can tell you exactly which colorway i used for something, or what the yardage is, or any of those things. Which means i have a million labels everywhere which doesn't really help anything.

The point is, I'm going to show you something and all i can tell you is that it is Blue Faced Leicester from Fleece Artist, and i bought it at Knit/Purl in Portland.


Fleece Artist BFL

Isn't it pretty? Now you can understand my dismay at losing the label and having no recollection of it's name. Point is - BFL, Fleece Artist, Knit/purl.

Now, this little piece of lovely comes with a confession: I am burned out. I just met my spring 2011 deadline with Universal Yarn, ever so barely, and for some reason the patterns i turned in really took it out of me. I even had to cancel plans for finishing one of the patterns for this go around (don't worry, i'm still working on it and planning to release it). I'm just a little tired of knitting and designing right now. That doesn't mean i haven't plotted out 2-3 sweater sketches in my design notebook recently. Or that i didn't just case on a new men's sweater design. Or that i'm not carrying it with me everywhere... But yeah.

I'm giving myself permission to take a rest. I'm working at putting out a booklet of men's patterns within the next year, so that's a big undertaking and i'm a little afraid of it, and i really just need to get my mojo back, you know? I find mojo returns when you take a break when you need one. So i'm just letting that happen.

In the meantime, my hands still itch for something to do, so I picked up my drop spindle and this lovely chunk of fiber i've had waiting around for the right moment and began practicing my spindling.


Fleece Artist BFL in a colorway i don't remember.
It looks predominantly blue here, and more has been spun since then (Almost twice as much!) but i assure you, there's a nice bit of subtle variation in the color!

It was slow going at first because i have never seriously spun with anything that wasn't pencil roving. Meaning i've never drafted as i spun with a drop spindle (i have very limited spinning wheel experience, but i got the hang of drafting in that case for the most part). It was an interesting experience and i had to figure out what worked best for my hands and whatnot. It's been very enjoyable though.



$2.50 Basket at Target that now houses the fiber i'm spinning and my spindle.

I even found this cute little tote at target for $2.50, and it's now where i'm keeping spinning stuff i'm working on. This way as i pull of pieces of the roving i don't lose track of it, and can keep it close at hand.

I'm sure i'll be back to knitting up a storm soon, but for right now i'm enjoying this diversion :)

1 comment:

  1. From one yarn geek to another, looks like their Mermaid colorway....Glad to hear you're taking a bit of 'break' after moving (nearly) across country, starting 2 new jobs, meeting designing deadlines, etc., etc., etc. We miss you here. Kabira

    ReplyDelete