{home} {blog} {about} {patterns}

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

in which i plan to talk for two seconds about an upcoming design and end up telling you all sorts of things.

TOP SECRET DEATH STAR PLANS

I'm knit knit knitting away at a new deadline project. This was originally supposed to be part of the spring knits i sent to Universal Yarn, but it got lost by the wayside in favor of doing a better job of finishing up the other patterns. Well, they liked the idea and asked if i could still do it and finish it by october 8th, so i'm knitting my little fingers off.

It's a colorwork mitten, inspired by Brocade fabrics and Art Nouveau/Art Deco style illustration. It'll be in two sizes and charted. I'm very excited to have the impetus to finish this design, because i feel like it's going to be beautiful (that's me tooting my own horn right there, in case you didn't catch it).

There's design process talk and all that junk to come, as this project had a lot of false starts and stops. I'm looking forward to telling you about them when i can show you the whole damn mitten.



playing with the 3$ lightbox.

Also, I finished spinning and plying my first hank of yarn! AHH! look at that! I'm still in disbelief that i made yarn myself. I've dabbled in spining both on a wheel and drop spindle (this was drop spindled) over the last couple years, but never took anything too seriously or to full fruition. So this feels pretty awesome! It's not a lot, but its mine :)

This is also one of the first photos i've taken in my homemade lightbox. It took me less than 30 minutes to construct and i spent all of $3 on it at the very most (posterboard is so cheap! and tissue paper is too!)

Homemade Light Box
Also Pictured: Bowl of nearly over ripe pears, cute plaid messenger bag i got for $7, tape, ruler, extra tissue paper and my top-whorl drop spindle recently freed of yarn, and the most beauty-challenged dining room chairs known to man.


I just made a purchase from KnitPicks, because i needed a few things.. well, needed in the sense that i wanted them and no longer wanted to live without them. that kind of need. *AHEM* Anyway. They're making their own spinning supplies now, which are extremely affordable. I got myself their Turkish Drop Spindle and the large Niddy Noddy (or as the BF put it recently, Tiddy Toddy - all he could remember was the iddy/oddy and alliteration. frankly, considering his total lack of interest in the specifics of my fiber proclivities, this was pretty impressive) (not saying he's unsupportive, of course, because he wears the hat i knit him with a great deal of pride) as well as some of their Bare Roving in Merino/Silk and WotA.

Let me just say, i've never spun merino or silk, but i think i'm in love.

The closest to a complaint i have about any of it is that it is all unfinished wood. But, that's also why The drop spindle can be sold for 15$, and the niddy noddy for only $12. It is sanded smooth, and that's really all you need. I'm thinking about painting or staining either of my new toys, i think it would be fun and an additional great way to express some creativity ;)

It's been delightfully slow at the new job, allowing for some knitting time and even a little spinning when i think to bring it all along with me. Usually i just have the knitting though. No complaints about any of that :)

1 comment:

  1. I have the same issue with Knit Picks. I go to peek - just a quick scan of new colors - and end up buying yarn I don't "need" but can't stand to go another day without. Then there's the whole stalking the mailman thing...

    ReplyDelete