{home} {blog} {about} {patterns}

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

a post full of feet.

When i was a new knitter, i frequently proclaimed how scary socks seemed to me. All those stitches, tiny yarn, how do you turn a heel!? It was all a little much.

Through the general level of terror socks inspired within me, i proclaimed disinterest. I frequently proclaim disinterest when what i really mean is "I'm secretly obsessed with this and i don't want to admit it". So, eventually, i came across sportweight yarn and was like "I guess this woouldn't be SO bad". I did a little research, and eventually decided on figuring out the math to do my own toe-up socks.

Here's the thing: I start a lot of projects this way, especially if i have no clue what i'm doing. I've learned over time it's better to find and follow a pattern that teaches me something than to just try and figure it out on my own 'cus i think i'm smart. Of course, that still doesn't stop me from just trying to apply a concept to my own ideas anyway.

First pair of socks i ever knit.

Behold, the first socks i ever knit. These are done toe up in acrylic "baby" yarn at a vaguely inappropriate gauge. They are, without a doubt, the most uncomfortable things i've ever knit. i don't even wear them as slippers. The gauge is just right so that walking on them is like walking on tiny pebbles everywhere. Not a good scene for me.

But from these guys i learned things. I did my first ever short row heel, which i have never willingly done again (it doesn't fit me well, not enough instep room), i learned that i prefer knitting socks cuff down whenever possible, as well.

First full pair of fingering weight socks i ever knit - finished at sock summit!

Behold, the second pair of socks I ever did knit. These were the ones that really got me going, sockwise. I Started them because i came in to posession of the yarn that th emain part of the sock is knit from. I just loved it! Yellow and i kind of have a little thing going on, and this was a perfect way to commemorate our affair. These were knit cuff down, and they're a LITTLE BIT too big around, but they're still very comfortable to wear. And i DO wear them! Another fun fact is that i finished them off at Sock Summit 2009 during the Luminary Panel. Not many people can say they're wearing socks that were finished while Barbara Walker, Lucy Neatby, Stephanie Pearl-McPhee, Priscilla Gibson-Roberts, Meg Swanson or Nancy Bush are in the room, let alone ALL of those amazing ladies. I think about my weekend at sock summit every time i pull these badboys on.

The point is, i finally figured out what i wanted in a handknit sock, and knowing that, i set off to knit more. I always rib the cuff in 2x2 ribbing for at least 40 rows, though i prefer 70 (70 usually means i need to know i have about 150grams of yarn at my disposal, though). I also know that i like to do them cuff down. I carry the ribbing across the top of the foot, and i always do a heel-flap heel with a modified german heel-turn. They always fit me, provided i pay attention to gauge. I also like to knit them with up to an inch of ease, but usually around 3/4 of an inch, and always at at least 9sts/inch, gaugewise.


Paton's Kroy - generic cuff down socks, the way i always make them. One has a "normal toe" the other, i ran out of yarn, so i used some leftover trekking and decreased it like the top of a hat.

Garter Rib socks from Paton's Kroy and generic cuff down sock out of Hand Dyed by Larissa brown

One thing i notice that a lot of people beat themselves up about is "Second Sock Syndrome", or "SSS". Here's the thing - I don't knit socks two at a time. i tried it a couple of times and it just frusterated me. When it comes down to it, knitting for me is ALWAYS about personal enjoyment. If i'm not enjoying it, then there's something wrong. I don't enjoy doing socks 2 at a time, or toe up. So i don't. Sometimes this means i have a mismatched pair for a while, like the ones above that don't have partners yet. I'm not knitting out of necessity - most people aren't. We're blessed to live in an age where we can knit for pleasure and actually enjoy a 20-30$ skein of yarn as opposed to having to spin and knit it all ourselves to keep our families from freezing.

I guess what i'm trying to say is - just enjoy knitting a sock. Don't worry about the second one. Don't worry about when you'll get it done. There's something beautifully meditative about knitting small tubes. ENJOY IT :)

Currently, i'm taking a break from designing to knit some things for me and my loved ones. Right now i'm about 1/3 of the way through my second Nemesis (from knitty). I absolutely fell in love with this pattern and the socks have come together rather quickly. Of course, in true Davitron form, i had to adjust the cast-on amount, but that was only to fit my fat feet. I ended up ordering a second skein of the yarn (Which is Cascade Heritage Handpaints in "David's Eyes")

Nemsis from Knitty - Sock One

I'm also plotting/swatching some mittens/glittens for myself out of Brown Sheep Company's Nature Spun Sport in a few yummy, fall colors!

Brown Sheep Company "Nature Spun Sport"

So, that's what i'll leave you with. My rationale for knitting socks one at a time with no plans for a pair ;) It's absolutely mad, i know, but trust me - you'll feel better if you just let go of the expectation that you have to knit a whole pair in one go. I know i feel better already ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment